Building Control

What is the purpose of building regulations?

To secure reasonable standards of health and safety for persons in or about buildings, energy conservation and access and facilities for people with disabilities.

What building work is controlled by the regulations?

  • putting up a new building
  • extending or altering an existing one
  • providing services and/or fittings in a building such as washing and sanitary facilities, hot water cylinders, foul water and rainwater drainage, replacement windows and fuel burning appliances of any type.

Please check here for further information about what required building regulations approval or use the interactive house on the Planning Portal.

We are committed to adopting a sensible approach to achieve innovative and quality construction that ensures a safe and healthy built environment for everyone. If you would like further assistance or have a query about a building control matter please email  or fill in our query form to contact us. Details of our current fees are set out below. Please note that the tabulated fees are inclusive of VAT. Any overpayments will be refunded less an administration fee of £25. Details of the fees can be found in the documents listed below.

Make an application

Building notice application  You do not have to submit detailed plans for this type of application, however we need sufficient detail in order to determine the scope of the works, including a block plan if the works relate to an extension. You can start your building works after giving us a minimum of two days' notice of commencement. We do not give an approval of the plans and we may require additional information to show compliance with the Regulations. A building notice is suitable for small building works like replacement windows and door, drainage alterations, opening in a load bearing wall and the removal of a chimney breast.

Full plans application   The main advantage of this type of application is that we will check the plans and any structural calculations that you submit and issue an approval notice. This notice may be required when you sell the property. This type of application is suitable for a workplace project eg shop, office, hotel, abuilding work within three metres of a public sewer and the erection of a building fronting onto a private road.

Regularisation application  If building work has been carried out without obtaining Building Regulation approval, you can apply for a Regularisation Certificate. The work must have started after 11 November 1985 and comply with the Building Regulations. The regularisation procedure is a means of confirming that unauthorised building work meets the requirements of the Regulations.

You can also make a Building Control application online using the Planning Portal.

Demolition application form  This form is used when you propose to demolish a building.

Building work inspections

Dangerous buildings or structures

Links to other building control information

Planning Portal

Party walls

Faculty of party wall surveyors

Local authority building control

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Chartered Association of Building Engineers

Local surveyors direct

The Epsom and Ewell Guide


PDF icon building control fees.pdf504.54 KB